Grilled Squid with Spicy Lemongrass Sauce, or “Muc Nuong Sa Te,” is a mouthwatering Vietnamese dish that combines tender grilled squid with a flavorful and spicy lemongrass sauce. This dish is loved for its vibrant flavors, smoky aroma, and satisfying texture. Here’s how to make this delicious grilled squid dish at home.
- 2 medium-sized squids (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 red chili peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs for garnish (such as cilantro or Thai basil)
- Prepare the Squid:
- Clean the squid by removing the head, tentacles, and innards. Rinse the squid under cold water and pat dry.
- Score the squid by making shallow diagonal cuts on both sides, creating a crisscross pattern. This helps the squid cook evenly and absorbs the flavors of the sauce.
- Make the Spicy Lemongrass Sauce:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the lemongrass, garlic, shallot, and red chili peppers to the pan. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until fragrant and lightly golden.
- Stir in the fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook for another minute, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Remove the sauce from heat and set it aside.
- Grill the Squid:
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Brush both sides of the scored squid with the spicy lemongrass sauce, ensuring it is well coated.
- Place the squid on the preheated grill and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side until the squid is tender and lightly charred. Avoid overcooking to prevent the squid from becoming tough.
- Transfer the grilled squid to a serving plate.
- Drizzle the remaining spicy lemongrass sauce over the squid.
- Garnish with fresh herbs like cilantro or Thai basil.
- Serve the Grilled Squid with Spicy Lemongrass Sauce immediately as a flavorful appetizer or as part of a main meal.
Note: You can adjust the spiciness of the sauce by adding more or fewer chili peppers according to your preference. Serve the dish with steamed rice or as part of a seafood platter.
Conclusion: Grilled Squid with Spicy Lemongrass Sauce is a delightful Vietnamese dish that showcases the natural flavors of squid combined with the boldness of lemongrass and spices. This easy-to-make recipe allows you to recreate the authentic taste of this popular dish in the comfort of your own kitchen. Enjoy the tender and flavorful grilled squid, perfectly complemented by the aromatic and spicy lemongrass sauce. Elevate your seafood dining experience with this delicious Grilled Squid with Spicy Lemongrass Sauce recipe.