Beef papaya salad, also known as “Goi Du Du Kho Bo” in Vietnamese, is a refreshing and flavorful dish that combines tender beef, crisp green papaya, fragrant herbs, and a tangy dressing. This salad is a perfect balance of textures and tastes, making it a popular choice among salad lovers. In this recipe, we’ll guide you through the steps to create this mouthwatering Vietnamese dish.
- 200g beef (sirloin or flank steak), thinly sliced
- 1 green papaya, peeled and julienned
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs (mint, cilantro, Thai basil), chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fried shallots (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Thai chili, minced (adjust according to your spice preference)
- Marinate the beef: In a bowl, combine the beef slices with a pinch of salt, pepper, and a splash of soy sauce. Let it marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, mix together fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, minced garlic, and minced Thai chili. Adjust the flavors to your liking by adding more lime juice, fish sauce, or sugar if needed.
- Cook the beef: Heat a pan or grill over medium-high heat. Cook the marinated beef slices for about 2-3 minutes on each side until they are nicely browned and cooked to your desired doneness. Remove from heat and let it rest for a few minutes. Slice the beef into thin strips.
- Assemble the salad: In a large mixing bowl, combine the julienned green papaya, carrot, sliced red onion, fresh herbs, and sliced beef.
- Add the dressing: Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently to coat all the ingredients evenly.
- Serve and garnish: Transfer the salad to a serving plate. Sprinkle crushed peanuts and fried shallots on top for added crunch and flavor.
- Enjoy: Serve the delicious beef papaya salad immediately and savor the vibrant flavors and textures.
Note: You can adjust the ingredients and flavors according to your preference. Feel free to add more herbs, chili, or lime juice to suit your taste.
Conclusion: Goi Du Du Kho Bo, or Vietnamese Beef Papaya Salad, is a delightful combination of tender beef, refreshing green papaya, and a zesty dressing. This salad is not only visually appealing but also bursting with flavors. It’s a perfect choice for a light and healthy meal or as a refreshing appetizer. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the wonderful blend of textures and tastes in this traditional Vietnamese dish.